Saturday, March 13, 2010

Big Agnes

My profile says that I am close to 54 years old. Now, when I was in my early 40's an older friend told me that they weren't comfortable backpacking anymore because sleeping on the ground had gotten too difficult. I was skeptical, but then as I approached my 50's I found myself spending $$s getting more and more thermarests until I was carrying 3 of them on any overnight.

Then I met a woman who was backpacking at 58 and she introduced me to Big Agnes sleeping bags -- back to air mattresses, only this time they are attached to the sleeping bag so... you can't find yourself laying next to the mattress in the morning and, at 50, unable to get off the ground.

My mother has dementia. She stays with me sometimes when my dad needs a break. I cannot sleep in the same room with her because of the noises she makes at night. I cannot sleep too far from her because she wakes up screaming for my father sometimes during the night and needs soothing. I sleep on the floor a room away in my Big Agnes sleeping bag. And my sweet musician grabs his bag from Big Agnes as well, zips us together, and sleeps on the floor next to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment